New York Boater Education Card requirements
Anyone who operates a motor boat and who was born on or after January 1, 1983 must hold a New York State Parks approved boating safety certificate. You must complete a New York approved boater safety course to get your certificate. All PWC Personal Watercraft operators must hold a New York State Parks approved boating certificate.
The law will be phased in over the next 2 years:
If you were born on or after: You will need a boating safety certificate as of:
January 1, 1983 2023
January 1, 1978 2024
All operators of motorized vessels, regardless of age, will need a boating card by January 1, 2025.
Study at your own pace
Enter an email to start the course.
Interactive boating course with more than 45 HD videos.
Pay only when you pass the exam.
Multi-Device online course.
Live customer support.
Boating safety course introduction
- Mandatory boater education
- Boating terminology
- Registration & Titling
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
- Navigation light equipment
- Other recommended equipment
Trip Planning and Preparation
- Pre-departure checklist
- Launching & Retrieving a boat from the water
- Boat preventive maintenance
Safe Boat Operation
- Operator responsibilities
- Navigation rules
- U.S. Aids to navigation system
- Docking & Undocking
- Procedures for Anchoring
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Boating accidents
- Surviving in cold water
- Rendering assistance - Accident report
Other Water Activities
- Small boats - Special dangers
- Water skiing & towed devices
- Water-Jet Propelled Watercraft (PWC)
Crystal clear. Our team works hard to develop intuitive and effective training. No endless reading, interactive learning is the key to success!
Take the final test
NASBLA official boating safety test.
The boater exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions.
Open-book final test.
Free exam retries - risk free!
Print your certificate
Print your certificate and start boating now!
Your certificate is good for life.
You'll receive a wallet-sized boat card within 6-8 weeks.
More than 500 000 boaters have trusted us
AceBoater is the best way to get your boating license and to have the freedom to go boating when you want, by yourself or with friends and family!
More boaters, more savings
We want to facilitate access to our boating safety course for groups and families. The more you are, the less you pay!
A complete 3-hour course… well organized in 7 chapters
- Study at your pace
- The card is valid for life
- Exam retries are free
Made by passionate people
We wanted to create the most interactive and user-friendly online pleasure craft training platform for you. Our goal: to provide a clear, comprehensive and fun boater safety course, so that you can get on with the theory and go boating... NOW!
FAQ - Boating in New York
- Do I need a boating safety education certificate to operate a watercraft in New York?
On January 1, 2020 the Brianna’s law went into effect. It requires that anyone operating a motorboat and who was born on or after January 1, 1993 must hold a New York State boating safety certificate. You need to complete an approved New York boating safety course to get licensed. The Brianna’s law will be phased in over the next 5 years, according to your date of birth.
All boat operators, regardless of age, will need New York State boating safety certificates by January 1, 2025.
PWC operators must hold New York State boating safety certificates and be at least 14 years old.
- What are the age restrictions to operate a motor boat in New York?
You must be at least 10 years old to operate a powerboat, and at least 14 years old to operate a PWC Personal Watercraft in the state of New York.
- Who is exempt from holding a boater card in New York?
Anyone born before January 1, 1983 (however, many boaters complete the course in order to be eligible for discounted boat or Personal Watercraft PWC insurance)
Residents of other states who hold and are carrying a Boating Safety Certificate for a NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved course in his or her state of residence
- What form(s) of identification does an operator have to carry on board?
Anyone subject to the mandatory education requirements must carry a Boating Safety Certificate.
- Is the New York boating safety certificate similar to the NYS Adventure License?
All New York State residents MUST pass the Boating Safety Education Course in order to get their New York boating safety certificate which allows them to operate a power boat on New York State Parks waters.
The NYS Adventure License is an all-purpose driver's license which allows a person to boat, hunt, or fish in New York State and also serves as a parks ID card.
This NYS Adventure License lets you embark on your New York State outdoor adventure, and makes life that much easier for you!
- I do not have a driver's license. Can I still get the New York boating safety education certificate?
You are not required to hold a state driver's license in order to obtain a boater card.
- Is New York boating education certificate accepted in other states?
Yes. All states that require boater education certification will recognize the New York Boat Operator's Certificate, due to NASBLA-approved course reciprocity for non-residents. Boating Safety certificates issued in other states are valid.
- Why should I choose ACEBOATER.com?
- We have hundreds of illustrations that will help you to better understand the content
- Our online course is available 24/7
- You can access our online support by phone, email or chat
- We offer multi-platform training
- Get licensed in 3 hours
- Our policy has always been, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back"!
- One of the most effective ways to learn safe boating practices.
- How long are education certificates valid in the state of New York?
Forever - they do not expire.
- How can I get a replacement boating education card if I've lost it?
Before we can replace your boating card we must be sure that we originally issued it to you. Check with us by calling our toll-free number at 1 877 661-1938 to talk to an agent, or send us an email including your date of birth and we will contact you by email within 24 hours, during our office hours.
If you are certain that you took your online course with AceBoater.com, please log into your dashboard and click on "Order Replacement Cards".