Kentucky Boater Education Card requirements
To operate a motorized vessel greater than 10 hp, persons aged 12 to 17 years must possess a Kentucky Safe Boating Card or a certificate proving successful completion of a NASBLA-approved boater education course.
Study at your own pace
Pay only when you pass.
Complete and easy-to-read study guide.
Only $ 39.95 (online course, final test and online certificate included).
Boating safety course introduction
- Mandatory boater education
- Boating terminology
- Registration & Titling
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
- Navigation light equipment
- Other recommended equipment
Trip Planning and Preparation
- Pre-departure checklist
- Launching & Retrieving a boat from the water
- Boat preventive maintenance
Safe Boat Operation
- Operator responsibilities
- Navigation rules
- U.S. Aids to navigation system
- Docking & Undocking
- Procedures for anchoring
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Boating accidents
- Surviving in cold water
- Rendering assistance - Accident report
Other Water Activities
- Small boats - Special dangers
- Water skiing & towed devices
- Water-Jet Propelled Watercraft (PWC)
Crystal clear. Our team works hard to develop intuitive and effective training. No endless reading, interactive learning is the key to success!
Take the final test
The boating exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions.
Open-book final test.
Free exam retries - risk free!
Print your certificate
Print your certificate and start boating now!
Your certificate is good for life.
You'll receive a wallet-sized card within 6-8 weeks.
More than 500 000 boaters have trusted us
AceBoater is the best way to get your boating license and to have the freedom to go boating when you want, by yourself or with friends and family!
More boaters, more savings
We want to facilitate access to our boating safety course for groups and families. The more you are, the less you pay!
A complete 3-hour course… well organized in 7 chapters
- Study at your pace
- The card is valid for life
- Exam retries are free
Made by passionate people
We wanted to create the most interactive and user-friendly online pleasure craft training platform for you. Our goal: to provide a clear, comprehensive and fun boater safety course, so that you can get on with the theory and go boating... NOW!
FAQ - Boating in Kentucky
- Do I need a boating safety education certificate to operate a watercraft in Kentucky?
To operate a personal watercraft or motorboat over 10 horsepower, children 12 through 17 years of age must possess a NASBLA-approved Safe Boating Certification.
- What are the age restrictions to operate a motor boat in Kentucky?
A person must be 12 years of age or older to operate a motorboat of 10 horsepower or over, including personal watercraft (PWC), on Kentucky public waters.
A person 12 - 17 years old may not operate a motorboat on public waters unless that person carries a Kentucky Safe Boating Certificate Card or a certificate proving successful completion of a NASBLA-approved boater education course.
- What form(s) of identification does an operator have to carry on board?
Children 12 through 17 years of age must carry a NASBLA-approved Safe Boating Certificate of completion.
- Is Kentucky boating education certificate accepted in other states?
The NASBLA-approved Safe Boating Certification is honored in most states in the country unless that state that does not have an education reciprocity agreement with Kentucky. When you move to, or travel to a new state, it is your responsibility to check the law in that state.
- How long are boating safety certificates valid in Kentucky?
Forever - they do not expire.
- Why should I choose ACEBOATER.com?
we have hundreds of illustrations that will help you to better understand the content;
our online course is available 24/7.
you can access our online support by phone, email or chat.
we offer multi-platform training.
our Policy has always been, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back"!
- Do I need to register my boat in Kentucky?
To operate any mechanically powered vessel on Kentucky waters it must be registered and display valid registration decals. Boat registrations are valid for one year.
- What are the jet-Ski (PWC) requirements in Kentucky?
All PWC operators, passengers, and anyone being towed must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III PFD at all times
PWC must be equipped with an emergency ignition safety switch or a self-circling feature
PWC operation is only permitted during daylight hours (from sunrise to sunset)
- What are the lifejacket (PFD) requirements in Kentucky?
Vessels may only be operated in or on Kentucky state waters if the vessel is carrying at least one US Coast Guard-approved wearable personal flotation device (PFD) in good condition that is readily available, approved for the appropriate activity, and of the correct size for every person aboard.
- Are there age restrictions to operate a boat in Kentucky?
It is illegal for anyone under the age of 12 to operate any motorized vessel (including PWC) greater than 10 horsepower in Kentucky.
- How can I get a replacement boating education card if I've lost it?
Before we can replace your boating card we must be sure that we originally issued it to you. Check with us by calling our toll-free number at 1 877 661-1938 to talk to an agent, or send us an email including your date of birth and we will contact you by email within 24 hours, during our office hours.
If you are certain that you took your online course with AceBoater.com, please log into your dashboard and click on "Order Replacement Cards".