Do you need a boating license in Florida to rent a boat?
If you intend to rent a boat in Florida and were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988, you can either :
How long is the Florida temporary boating license certificate valid for?
90 days. The Temporary Certificate online will allow you to rent and operate a boat in Florida.
What's the minimum age to apply to get the Temporary boating license?
- There's no minimum age to take the exam.
- You must be at least 14 years old to drive a personal watercraft.
- You must be at least 18 years old to rent a boat in Florida.
What's the cost to take the exam?
- The test cost $3 plus $6.95 to access the course material so $9.95 in total. You can study as long as you need and take the exam whenever you're ready. You have unlimited trials. Once passed, you can print the Temporary Certificate immediately and go boating!
Study at your own pace
- Take a look at the study material if needed.
Only to get the Florida Online Temporary Certificate
Take the online exam
- The exam consists of 25 multiple choice questions.
- Free exam retries - Risk free!
Print your certificate
- Print your Temporary Certificate and go rent your boat!
- Your certificate is valid for 90 days.
More than 500 000 boaters have trusted us
AceBoater is the best way to get your boating license and to have the freedom to go boating when you want, by yourself or with friends and family!
Made by passionate people
We wanted to create the most interactive and user-friendly online pleasure craft training platform for you. Our goal: to provide a clear, comprehensive and fun boater safety course, so that you can get on with the theory and go boating... NOW!
FAQ - Boating in Florida
- Do I need a boating license in Florida?
Florida law requires anyone born on or after January 1, 1988, who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boater education ID card issued by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Florida does not have a "boating license." The online boating safety education ID is proof of successful completion of the educational requirements and is valid for life.
- Who is exempt from having to acquire a boater education card?
A person licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.
A person operating on a private lake or pond.
An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
A nonresident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed an approved boating safety course or equivalency examination from another state.
A person is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel and has available for inspection aboard that vessel a bill of sale.
A person operating a vessel within 90 days after completing an approved boating safety course, as required in Chapter 327.395(1), and has a photographic I.D. and a boater education course completion certificate showing proof of having completed the required boating safety education course. The course completion certificate must provide the student's first and last name, date of birth, and the date the course was successfully completed.
- Do I need a Florida Boating Safety Certificate if I'm only operating a jet ski/PWC?
Everyone born on or after January 1, 1988 must have a boater education identification card and photographic ID to operate a motorized vessel – including PWC – of 10 horsepower or more in Florida.
- I do not have a driver's license. Can I still get the Florida Boating Safety Certificate?
You are not required to have a state driver's license in order to obtain a boater education card.
- Is Florida Boating Safety Certificate accepted in other states?
Yes. All states that require boater education certification will recognize the Boat Operator's Certificate, due to a NASBLA approved course reciprocity for non-residents.
- What are the age restrictions to drive a motorboat in the state of Florida?
A person must be at least 14 years of age to operate a personal watercraft in Florida.
A person must be at least 18 years of age to rent a personal watercraft in Florida.
It is unlawful for a person to knowingly allow a person under 14 years of age to operate a personal watercraft.
- Do I need a boating safety certificate to rent a boat?
If you intend to rent a boat in Florida, you can get a Florida Boat Rental Temporary Certificate online which will allow you to rent and operate a boat in Florida, which will be valid for 90 days.
- Why should I choose ACEBOATER.com?
we have hundreds of illustrations that will help you to better understand the content;
our online course is available 24/7.
you can access our online support by phone, email or chat.
we offer multi-platform training.
our Policy has always been, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back"!
- How long are boating cards valid in Florida?
Forever - they do not expire.
- What does the Florida boater safety course cost?
Only (online course, final test and online certificate included).
As mentioned in the Temporary Certificate Program, you have the option to take the exam only without the course material for the cost of $3.00.
You'll have to pay before taking the test. I prefer this option.