The ROC (Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate) license is a Canadian Federal government issued card that allows you to operate a marine VHF radio.

Restricted Operators Certificate

When is a restricted operator's certificate required for vhf radio

Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate stands for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate and is required by:
Anyone using a marine VHF radio or other marine radios (each person on the boat who will use the radio needs their own card). There are significant fines if you are found using a VHF or marine radio without your card.

In addition, if you received your ROC card before the new Digital Selective Calling (DSC) was introduced, then you are encouraged to return and get your DSC endorsement for your ROC card.

All new VHF radios are now being sold with a DSC function that will greatly enhance rescue personnel's ability to assist you in an emergency. Understanding this technology and how to operate it can, in some circumstances, mean the difference between life and death.

Industry Canada VHF station license for Canadian boaters

A station licence is not required for Canadian boaters in Canadian waters, but you will need a VHF Station Licence if you plan to voyage in US waters. Plans for a reciprocal agreement relieving Canadian boaters of this requirement, were abandoned due to the change in security attitudes following 9/11.