Ace Boater - Boating license and exam online
Canadian boating license & Online boater test
Accredited by Transport CanadaAccredited by Transport Canada
My Profile Previous Search Close

Pleasure Craft License - Transfer - Buying or Selling

For information on the pleasure craft license, please call:

 Transport Canada at 1-800-267-6687


If I buy a used pleasure craft, how do I transfer the license?

The pleasure craft license is not the same as the Pleasure craft operator card commonly known as the boating license, which is required in order to drive a power driven boat. 

To transfer a licence to your name, submit the following documents:

  • a completed Form 84-0172E, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence;
  • proof of ownership of the pleasure craft;
  • a signed photocopy of a government issued ID.

If you do not have documents that prove you own the pleasure craft, you will be required to make a declaration under oath stating why you cannot produce the bill of sale or proof of ownership. You can use the sample declaration form provided on the website of Transport Canada.

When applying for a pleasure craft licence (that you'll display on the hull, above the waterline, on both sides of the bow), include a signed photocopy of your personal identification document. We will return the photocopy to you when we send you your licence. Your application and supporting documents must be mailed-in for processing to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.

I am selling my used pleasure craft, how do I transfer the license?

When you sell your pleasure craft, keep a copy of your bill of sale in case someone later questions the ownership of the vessel. Provide the new owner with a signed bill of sale. The new owner will then have to transfer the pleasure craft licence by sending an application form and the necessary documents by mail to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre. A pleasure craft that is the subject of a transfer of ownership may be operated until the day on which the new owner of the pleasure craft receives a transferred licence, up to a maximum of 90 days from the day of the transfer of ownership, if documents are carried on board confirming the name and address of the new owner and the date of the transfer of ownership.

Dispose of your boat.

Pleasure Craft License application in Canada

For more information on the pleasure craft license application, you can call Transport Canada at 1-800-267-6687

 These rules apply to: Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Prince Edward Island and NorthWest Territories.

Start our first chapter for free