Do I need a license to drive a boat in Canada?
As of September 15, 2009, all operators of all ages must have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card (boating license) to operate any type of pleasure craft equipped with a motor (even electric motor), including personal watercrafts.
Take our official boating course
Our 6-chapter online boating safety course is the leading platform to obtain your Transport Canada boating license.
Boating safety course introduction
- Most common causes of on-water incidents
- Boating terminology
- Laws and regulations
Rules and Obligations
- Registration and pleasure craft license
- Rules and obligations
- Criminal offences
Required Safety Equipment
- Personal protection equipment
- Boat safety equipment
- Minimum safety equipment to carry
Trip planning and Sharing the Waterways
- Boating trips
- Collision regulations
- Courtesy and common sense
Navigation Lights and Aids to Navigation
- Navigation lights
- Recognizing vessels by their lights
- Buoys ans beacons
Prevention of Emergency Situations
- Weather and Water Condition
- Hypothermia, heat stroke, etc.
- React to emergency situations
Crystal clear. Our team works hard to develop intuitive and effective training. No endless reading, interactive learning is the key to success!
Take the boating exam
After the boating safety course, you will be all set to take the official Transport Canada boater exam. We have created a practice boating exam to test your knowledge!
Print your temporary boating license and go boating NOW!
Once you have successfully completed your Transport Canada final exam, print your temporary boating license right away and go boating!
More boaters, more savings
We want to facilitate access to our boating safety course for groups and families. The more you are, the less you pay!
A complete 3-hour course… well organized in 6 chapters
- Study at your pace
- The card is valid for life
- Exam retries are free
More than 500 000 Canadian boaters have trusted us
Ace Boater is the best way to get your boating license in Canada and to have the freedom to go boating when you want, by yourself or with friends and family!
Made by passionate people
We wanted to create the most interactive and user-friendly online pleasure craft training platform for you. Our goal: to provide a clear, comprehensive and fun boater safety course, so that you can get on with the theory and go boating... NOW!
You may ask
- What is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)?
A PCOC is proof of competency which is required in Canada to operate a boat with a motor. The PCOC is proof that the boater has completed an online or in person course and has successfully passed the Transport Canada final exam.
- Is the Transport Canada boating license mandatory?
Yes. The rule to qualify for the Canadian boating license (Pleasure Craft Operator Card) applies to all motorized watercraft throughout Canada, regardless of the length of the watercraft and the type and power of the motor used. You must have the card even while using an electric motor. Start the course!
- Is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card good anywhere in Canada?
Yes, the same card is issued for all the provinces and territories in Canada. Whether you're boating in Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia(BC), Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, Saskatchewan or Newfoundland, the card is legal across the country.
- Do I need a PCOC to operate a boat with an electric motor in Canada?
Yes. All boaters must have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card to operate any powered watercraft. This law applies to all boaters, there are no exemptions. "Powered watercraft" means a watercraft fitted with any size motor, even an electric trolling motor.
- How much does the boating license cost in Canada?
The cost of the boating license online safety course is only $ 59.95 plus taxes. This includes study time, the final Transport Canada exam and mailing of your first boating license.
- At what age can I get my boat license in Canada?
There is no minimum age requirement for the boat license, but certain restrictions apply to operate a watercraft according to your age. You only need to pass the final exam.
- Does a pleasure craft operator card expire?
No, your Pleasure Craft Operator Card is valid for life and never needs to be renewed.
- Is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card the same as a pleasure craft license?
A pleasure craft operators card is considered as proof of competency proving the boater has completed a boating safety course and has the knowledge required to operate a vessel safely and understands the rules and regulations of navigating on Canadian waters. A pleasure craft licence or registration is a unique number the owner must display on the bow of the vessel. It is mandatory for all pleasure crafts equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more.
- How can I replace a lost or broken pleasure craft operator card?
Before we can replace a lost or damaged Pleasure Craft Operator Card we must be sure that we originally issued it to you. Check with us by calling our toll-free number at 1-888-962-6513 to talk to an agent, or you can fill in the lost card form on our website and we will contact you by email within 24 hours, during our office hours.
If you took your online course with AceBoater.com, log into your profile and click on "Order Replacement Cards".
- Do I need to have a driver’s license to get a Canadian boating license?
No, a drivers license is not required to obtain the Canadian boating license. However to operate a watercraft you must carry your Pleasure Craft Operator Card on board with you.
- Do you have to carry your card on you at all times?
Yes, all operators are required to carry the PCOC on board and have it readily available for inspection by law enforcement when operating a vessel.
- Do I have to be a Canadian resident to get a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?
For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms: A Pleasure Craft Operator Card; A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats); or, An operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their state or country.
- How long is the Canadian boating safety course?
Transport Canada requires 3 hours of study. At Ace Boater we have developed a training program to make your study time virtually interactive and pleasant.
- Why is Aceboater the best course provider in Canada?
- Aceboater is Canada's #1 provider of boating safety education. We provide a comprehensive online boating education and certification platform for boaters of all levels and interests. We are fully approved by Transport Canada and recognized by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and the U.S. Coast Guard.