Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Who needs a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

All operators of powered recreational watercraft used on Canadian waters must have proof of competency like the boating license. The boating license is mandatory, regardless of age, length of boat or engine horsepower.

Successfully completing our course means that you are certified in all the Canadian provinces and territories including: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, Nunavut, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

What is the difference between a Pleasure Craft Operator Card and a boating license?

The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is a proof of competency, while a Pleasure Craft License is the number placed on the side of each recreational vessel as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act.

How can I get my PCOC?

To obtain a boating card, you must pass an accredited test. The first step is to follow the mandatory study on the internet for a minimum of 3 hours, and then pass the Transport Canada test.

It's $49.95 + taxes for the online course, the final test and the card valid for life.

How do I replace my Pleasure Craft Operator Card if I lost it?

  • First you can contact us at 1-800-607-2329 for a replacement card or write us an email at to see if you had obtained the card with our school

  • Or if you are sure that you wrote the exam or obtained your card through, you can order it online by filling out the form.

Do I need a PCOC to operate a boat with an electric motor?

Yes. All boaters must have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card to operate any powered watercraft. This law applies to all boaters, there are no exemptions. "Powered watercraft" means a watercraft fitted with any size motor, even an electric trolling motor.

What is the minimum age for kids to write the boating exam?

There is no minimum age. As long as children can read and understand the exam, they are allowed to write it. We do not recommend that children or young adults challenge the exam without taking a classroom course or home study course first.

Does a PCOC expire?

No, your Pleasure Craft Operator Card is valid for life and never needs to be renewed.

How do I change the address on my Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

You can phone us at 1-800-607-2329 or email us at to make the change.

Do I need it to operate a non-powered pleasure craft?

No. The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations only apply to pleasure craft fitted with a motor.

Do I need to take an exam to obtain my card?

Yes, following the completion of the course you must complete the official Transport Canada final exam to obtain your card.

Do I need a pleasure craft operator card to paddle a pleasure craft fitted with a motor when the motor is turned off?

Yes, you must have proof of competency, including the boating card, if you have an engine on board the boat, even if not in use.

Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to non-residents?

The Regulations apply to non-residents if:

  • They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 44 consecutive days or,

  • They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).

The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be required on board at all times.

For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:

  • A Canadian-issued pleasure craft operator card.

  • A completed boat rental safety check-list (for power-driven rental boats).

  • An operator card or equivalent that meets the requirements of their state or country.