If your engine breaks down, you can use a manual propelling device to help you get back to shore.
A manual propelling device can be:
- a set of oars or
- a paddle or
- a rudder on a small sail boat or
- a paddle wheel on a paddle boat or
- anything that a person can operate by hand or foot to propel a boat.
Before each trip, you should check if your manual propelling device is accessible and available at any time. So you know where to find it when you need it!
If you are operating a boat less than 9m in length, you must have on board:
- A manual propelling device, OR
- An anchor with a minimum of 15m of rope, cable, or chain, instead of a manual propelling device.