Accident Report in California
When does an operator file an accident report in California?
- if the accident results in injury, death or disappearance
- when total damage to the boat and property is over $500.00
- when there is complete loss of the boat.
An accident report must be delivered to the Division of Boating and Waterways within 48 hours if there is:
- Death occurring within 24 hours of the accident.
- Disappearance of a person.
- Medical treatment beyond first aid.
An accident report must be made within 10 days if:
- A person dies more than 24 hours after an accident occurs.
- This accident involves property damage to vessels or property exceeding $500, or there is a complete loss of a vessel.
Accident report forms are available at www.BoatCalifornia.com
If a person involved in a boating accident leaves the scene without giving pertinent information to others involved in the accident where injury, death or disappearance occurs, that person will be considered to have left the scene if he/she has not either:
- Supplied the proper information to the others involved, or to any peace officer at the scene; and/or
- Given any appropriate assistance to any injured person, and is therefore subject to a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment for up to four years, or both.